The RCSI Hospital Group includes the following hospitals:
- Beaumont Hospital
- Cavan General Hospital
- Connolly Hospital
- Louth County Hospital
- Monaghan General Hospital
- Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital
- Rotunda Hospital
- The Academic Partner for the Group is the RCSI.
RCSI Hospital Group provides a national service and a regional service to Dublin and the North East and is committed to the provision of world-class care, exceptional clinical services with respect and compassion.
The Post Holder will:
- Be responsible for site management (leading and managing) of the hospital in out of hours periods including evenings, weekends and Nights
- Supervise nursing services in medical and surgical divisions on the Monaghan site.
- Undertake, review and manage appropriate projects as defined by the Director of Nursing.
- Identify and implement operational processes, informed by best practice, in order to optimise use of resources and to ensure compliance with statutory requirements and to improve the experience and outcome of our service users.
- Promote best practice that is evidence based with the ultimate outcome of improving patient care.
- Provide clinical support, expertise and managerial advice to all staff in the clinical areas.
- Establish and promote healthy working relationships.
- Ensure Health Service Executive, Cavan/Monaghan Hospitals and RCSI Hospital Group policies and protocols are implemented and adhered to.
- The post holder may be required to work on the Cavan Hospital Site as deemed necessary by the Director of Nursing
- Understand and co-ordinate Patient Flow activity in line with best practice and set Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s).
- Work in liaison with the Patient Flow Team in Cavan General Hospital to ensure available hospital capacity is fully utilised.
- Develop reports and utilised data to inform decisions
- Provide supportive supervision and advice for all members of staff.
- Support the development of a culture of continuous quality improvement.
- Be actively involved in revising Incident Management plans/Major Emergency Plans for the Monaghan Hospital site.
- Ensure clinical/non clinical emergencies are managed and communicated/escalated to the relevant managers at the appropriate time.
- Manage any issues which interfere with clinical standards of care, and communicate/escalate to relevant managers.
- Lead and contribute effectively to the change process within Cavan/Monaghan Hospitals and the RCSI Hospital Group.
- Promote appropriate handling of complaints as they arise. Investigate and review systems and processes and monitor the necessary action taken to resolve any underlying problems, including education arising as a result of a complaint. The post holder will be expected to undertake a complaints officer role.
- Promote and support the delivery of quality improvement plans and other components of internal and external quality assurance programmes e.g. HIQA/National standards and Programmes, e.g. Hygiene, Infection Prevention & Control, Medication Management, Discharge Planning.
- Ensure systems are in place to ensure time to communication with staff, i.e. Team Meetings (in line with Covid 19 Safety), Safety Pauses, Debriefing sessions.
- Ensure that the requirements for An Bord Altranais agus Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (Nursing and Midwifery Board Ireland) for the Practice of Professional Nursing/Midwifery are met and upheld at all times.
- Support the philosophy, objectives and goals of the Nursing/Midwifery Service and the RCSI Hospital Group.
- Participate, co-operate and take the lead in quality initiatives against which clinical/non clinical practice can be measured and continuously evaluated.
- Lead and/or participate in audits e.g. Quality Care Metrics, Environmental Hygiene Audits, Hand Hygiene Compliance, HCAI Audit, ensuring time bound action plans are put in place to address non compliances and deliver improvement
- Use data to inform decisions.
- Assist in identifying specific areas in which improvements can be made and work to continuously improve standards of care delivered.
- Work with CNM 2’s to ensure that standards of patient care are managed in accordance with best practice.
- Provide leadership and direction to all staff and ensure clear lines of communication.
- Advise staff on opportunities for professional development programmes and ensure continual ongoing professional education in line with service need.
- Lead out on a plan that promotes succession planning for Nursing and HCA posts within the Monaghan Hospital Site
- Participate in Staff recruitment and retention initiatives.
- Ensure that resources are deployed effectively and efficiently between wards and departments to ensure that sufficient number of skilled and experienced staff are available on a regular basis and at periods of fluctuating demand.
- Ensure accurate systems are in place that give real time data as to how nurses or HCA’s are deployed.
- Monitor nursing & HCA resources continually, advising ADON/DON when staff numbers and skill mix require review.
- Manage staff attendance in line with policy ensuring a system is in place for regularly monitoring and reviewing absenteeism.
- Ensure the maintenance of a safe and appropriate environment for patients and staff.
- Work in a collaborative and co-ordinated manner with all members of the Senior Management Team and Multi-disciplinary colleagues providing direct and indirect services to patients.
- Undertake training in SAP/HR and ensure the system is kept up to date and accurate.
Education/Ongoing Professional Development
- Be aware of current developments in nursing and health services delivery and develop plans to ensure these developments translate to service delivery
- Work with the Assistant Director of Nursing to plan ahead in relation to required continuous professional development for staff in your area of responsibility.
- Promote and implement Professional Development Planning (PDP’s) for staff in the Monaghan Site.
- Maintain nursing and managerial competence by maintaining own professional development to include attendance at approved and relevant seminars, training/education programmes, participating in research and audit activity and Professional Development Planning (PDP’s).
- Spend time on the Cavan Site in line with an agreed annual plan as arranged in liaison with the ADON/DON
- Ensure staff scheduling of mandatory training and up to date record keeping of same.
- Participate in the identification, development and delivery of induction, education, training and development programmes for nursing and non-nursing staff
- Be familiar with the organisational governance structure and the Nursing Governance Structure within the Cavan /Monaghan Hospitals and RCSI HG
- Work in close collaboration on a daily basis with the operational manager on Monaghan Site while having clear reporting structures to the ADON/DON Cavan/ Monaghan Hospitals
- Clinical governance should be managed to comply with statutory obligations, in conjunction with relevant staff e.g. health and safety procedures, quality, risk management
- Take appropriate action on any matter identified as being detrimental to staff and/or service user care or wellbeing / may be inhibiting the efficient provision of care
- Ensure adherence to established policies and procedures e.g. health and safety, infection control, storage and use of medications etc.
- Ensure compliance with the quality and risk safety framework programme.
- Maintain a feedback mechanism with the risk advisors and report to the Assistant Director of Nursing as appropriate.
- Ensure adherence to Hospital policies in relation to the care and safety of any equipment supplied for the fulfilment of duty. Ensure advice of relevant stakeholders is sought as part of the procurement process e.g. CNS infection control
- Ensure systems are in place to manage resources effectively in line with sound adherence to financial regulation
- Ensure the most effective and efficient use of developments in information technology for both patient care and administrative in a manner that integrates well with systems throughout the organization.
- Comply with Data Protection policies and statute.
Health & Safety
- Ensure that effective safety procedures are in place to comply with the Health, Safety and Welfare at Work Act.
- Take urgent remedial action and report all health and safety related incidents and accidents.
- Report and investigate Health and safety incidents in line with HSE and Cavan/Monaghan Hospitals’ policies and procedures.
On the latest date for receiving completed application forms for the office:
- Be registered in the General Division of the Register of Nurses kept by An Bord Altranais agus Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (Nursing and Midwifery Board Ireland), or be entitled to be so registered.
- Have at least 5 years post registration experience of which 2 must be in nursing management.
- Have the clinical, managerial and administrative capacity to properly discharge the functions of the role
- Demonstrate evidence of continuing professional development
Post Specific Requirements
- Have proven clinical and professional managerial ability, leadership, communication and organizational skills.
- Access to transport to allow cross site working when required.
Technical & Professional Expertise
- Has a command over the technical/ professional skills and knowledge required within the job holder’s role and continues to upskill to maintain high professional standards and continuous professional development requirements
Leadership & Management
- Manages performance to deliver team goals; demonstrates accountability for leading, directing, monitoring and evaluating RCSI Hospital Group services. Creates a climate in which people want to do their best. Promotes confidence and positive attitude; influences others to follow a common goal.
Attention to Detail
- Is thorough and precise when accomplishing a task showing concern for all aspects of the job; developing detailed plans; accurately checking processes and tasks.
Flexibility & Adaptability
- Works effectively within a variety of situations with individuals or groups. Adapts one’s approach as the requirements of a situation changes; adjusts tasks and priorities when necessary. Accepts that changes in one’s role may be required from time to time.
- Manages and utilises the organisation’s resources in the most effective manner to maximise the value for money proposition and to identify costs savings where possible.
Results Driven & Accountable
- Focuses on delivering results; always concerned with achieving or surpassing goals and/or recognised standards of performance.
This Job Description is intended as a basic guide to the scope and responsibilities of the position and is subject to regular review and amendment. The role holder will be required to be flexible in this position and is expected to facilitate working additional hours on occasion, when requested.
The RCSI Hospital Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Send e-mail to:
Please quote the Campaign Reference when applying
Caroline Keyes – Director of Nursing
Phone: 049 437 6105
Friday 23rd April 2021