The RCSI Hospital Group includes the following hospitals
- Beaumont Hospital
- Cavan General Hospital
- Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown
- Louth County Hospital
- Monaghan General Hospital
- Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital
- Rotunda Hospital
- The Academic Partner for the Group is the RCSI
RCSI Hospital Group provides a national service and a regional service to Dublin and the North East and is committed to the provision of world-class care, exceptional clinical services with respect and compassion.
The Senior Pharmacist will:
- Support the running of the Connolly COVID vaccination centre with respect to logistics, medication management and safety, and pharmacovigilance.
- Act as a specialist resource for Medical, Surgical, and Nursing Teams in the hospital
- Liaise with other pharmacists working in dispensary and clinical areas.
- Assist in managing the efficient running of the dispensary.
- Supervise and supply drugs, pharmaceuticals and other related items, as may be required.
- Participate in the development and expansion of ward pharmacy / clinical pharmacy services.
- Assist the Chief Pharmacist and Pharmacy staff in the performance of his/her duties and responsibilities, as required.
- Undertake such other duties as appropriate, to the office as may be assigned, from time to time.
- Oversee the operation of the pharmacy dispensary.
- Liaise with the Chief Pharmacist and Pharmacy staff on matters concerning departmental procedures, safety, security and complaints concerning the service.
- Ensure that the purchase, storage and supply of all items is operated on the most economical lines, consistent with quality at pharmacy, ward and department levels and with reference to legal requirements, transit, security and conditions of chemical and physical stability.
- Maintain records for purchasing, quality control, compounding and dispensing to the standards required.
- Answer and record medicines information queries from staff and patients.
- Provide advice, as required, to medical and nursing staff on the proper and economic use of drugs and medicines including participation in schemes for the dissemination of information in relation to drugs and drug usage designed to deliver optimal care economically.
- Provide a patient focused clinical pharmacy service including prescription review, patient counselling, and medication reconciliation on admission.
- Ensure that the needs of patients and professional staff are being adequately met by the pharmaceutical service provided. This will involve providing help and advice to patients and staff on all aspects of therapy and collaborating with community pharmacists to ensure continuity of supply of medication where necessary.
- Ensure the safe use of medicines by evaluating and managing risks associated with the use of medicines and by participating in the hospital’s Medicines Safety reporting process.
The Senior Pharmacist will:
- Deliver training and education to medical, nursing and pharmacy staff through induction days, study days, journal club and other educational events.
- Supervise and tutor pharmacy technician students and other students during work experience placements in the department.
- Participate in continuing education and in such activities consistent with the post and in accordance with the Irish Institute of Pharmacy. Attend such study days and continuing education courses as may be deemed necessary for the development of both the service and the individual.
The Senior Pharmacist will:
- Develop and implement policies, procedures and guidelines relating to medicines management.
- Carry out general administrative and financial duties including recording keeping and drug use monitoring.
- Participate in multidisciplinary working groups and committees as required, including hospital accreditation.
- Supervise and manage any pharmacist and other staff assigned to him / her.
- Where a Chief Pharmacist has been assigned responsibilities to co-operate with and assist him / her in the performance of his / her duties and responsibilities as required.
- Perform such other duties appropriate to the office of Senior Pharmacist as may be assigned to him / her from time to time by the Chief Pharmacist.
- Conduct research and audit relating to the use of medicines and medicines management.
Health & Safety
The Senior Pharmacist will:
- Each employee is responsible to take reasonable care for his or her own acts or omissions and the effect that these may have upon the safety of themselves or any other person.
- Every employee must use safety equipment or clothing in a proper manner and for the purpose intended
- Any employee who intentionally or recklessly misuses anything supplied in the interests of health and safety will be subject to disciplinary procedures.
- Every employee must work in accordance with any health and safety procedures, instructions or training that has been given.
- No employee may undertake any task for which they have not been authorised and for which they are not adequately trained.
- Every employee is required to bring to the attention of a responsible person any perceived shortcoming in our safety arrangements or any defects in work equipment.
- All employees are under a duty to familiarise themselves with the Risk Management/Fire, Health & Safety Policies.
- All staff are responsible for identifying, assessing and reporting all risks and for contributing to the management and review of all risks.
- Employees must attend fire lectures periodically and must observe fire orders.
- In line with the Public Health (Tobacco) (Amendment) Act 2004, smoking within the Hospital Building is not permitted.
- All accidents within the Department must be reported immediately.
- Have a working knowledge of HIQA Standards as they apply to the role for example, Standards for Healthcare, National Standards for the Prevention and Control of Healthcare Associated Infections, Hygiene Standards etc and comply with associated HSE protocols for implementing and maintaining these standards.
- Support, promote and actively participate in sustainable energy, water and waste initiatives to create a more sustainable, low carbon and efficient health service.
Each candidate must, at the latest date for receipt of completed application forms for the post:
Professional Qualifications, Experience etc.
- Be a registered Pharmacist with the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland (PSI) or be entitled to be so registered
- Have at least three years satisfactory post registration hospital experience
- Possess the requisite knowledge and ability (including a high standard of suitability and management ability) for the proper discharge of the duties of the office.
- Appointment to and continuation in posts that require statutory registration is dependent upon the post holder maintaining annual registration in the Register of Pharmacists maintained by the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland.
Technical & Professional Expertise
Has a command over the technical/ professional skills and knowledge required within the job holder’s role and continues to upskill to maintain high professional standards and continuous professional development requirements
Demonstrates eagerness to understand patient needs. Views the patient as central to the delivery of every day service through consistent understanding, tolerance, care, support and empathy while promoting empowerment, independence and choice.
Has the ability and desire to work cooperatively with others; collaborating to get the job done. Provides support to colleagues to help develop a strong and cohesive team ethos. Willing to participate as a member of the team.
Leadership & Management
Manages performance to deliver team goals; demonstrates accountability for leading, directing, monitoring and evaluating RCSI Hospital Group services. Creates a climate in which people want to do their best. Promotes confidence and positive attitude; influences others to follow a common goal.
Possesses the ability and desire to improve organisation performance by developing or creating innovative solutions.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Speaks and writes clearly, fluently and effectively to both individuals and groups; communicates in a manner that will persuade, convince and influence others, in order to motivate, inspire or encourage them to follow a particular course of action.
Attention to Detail
Is thorough and precise when accomplishing a task showing concern for all aspects of the job; developing detailed plans; accurately checking processes and tasks
This Job Description is intended as a basic guide to the scope and responsibilities of the position and is subject to regular review and amendment. The role holder will be required to be flexible in this position and is expected to facilitate working additional hours on occasion, when requested.
The RCSI Hospital Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Send e-mail to:
Please quote the Campaign Reference when applying
Noon, Wednesday 13th April 2021